Second Chance Companions offers Compassion Grants that prevent suffering and euthanasia by providing financial assistance to families with companion animals in medical crisis. Below is our criteria for grant eligibility.
Your pet must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a companion animal
- Have an immediate life-threatening/life-compromising injury or illness
- Have a good after-treatment prognosis
As a condition of a grant, your pet must be or become:
- Current on vaccinations
You as the pet parent or guardian must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be 18 years or older
- Has not received any previous assistance from Second Chance Companions within the last 3 calendar years
- All eligible family members have been rejected from Care Credit or ScratchPay, or approved with insufficient credit to cover the cost of treatment (must send proof of denial as part of the application process.
- Must contribute a portion of the total cost of services for which the grant is provided
- Grant permission for Second Chance Companions to publish a story for marketing and fundraising purposes (which may include interviews and photographs)
The grants may not be used for the following:
- Initial exam/consultation fees
- Diagnostic tests
- Routine visits
- Non-urgent care
- Ongoing/chronic conditions
As part of the application process, you will need materials from your veterinary care provider. The veterinary care provider must provide all of the following:
- A definitive diagnosis
- A prognosis (long-term and short-term)
- Medical records to support diagnosis and prognosis
- A recommended treatment plan
- A discount of 25% or greater as compared to their customary pricing
- An itemized estimate for recommended treatment plan (listing both customary and discounted pricing)
- Consent for Second Chance Companions to publicize case for marketing purposes (SCC can withhold hospital name if requested)
Applications are submitted via a secure method and stored securely. Sensitive information will be treated in accordance with reasonable privacy standards.
Grants will be awarded based on the information given to us by your veterinarian regarding the prognosis. Once your application has been submitted, you will be notified within 24 hours whether the grant has been accepted or denied. Incomplete applications will be denied, but there will be an opportunity to gather more information if needed and re-submit.
If the grant is accepted, a check for the amount of the grant will be sent directly to the veterinary care provider.
All medical communications and decisions will be between you and your veterinary care provider. This is a one-time-only grant. All follow-up care, including any complications, will need to be discussed between you and your veterinary care provider. You are responsible for future costs. Second Chance Companions is not responsible for the outcome of the veterinary care provided and has no further financial responsibility regarding the care of your pet.